TLD nameservers that also cache?

Brad Knowles blk at skynet.be
Thu Jul 6 19:00:44 UTC 2000

At 7:47 PM +0100 2000/7/6, Jim Reid wrote:

>  Aside from the problems of updating RFC103[45] and getting the new
>  code written and deployed, I don't think this would work.

	While it wouldn't help anyone who didn't implement the new code,
I think I can safely say that if we had this feature in a more
up-to-date version of BIND that we would implement that very quickly.
So, at least we'd be okay.

>                                                             What about
>  non-terminal names that don't have a zone cut? Suppose www.skynet.be
>  existed but there was no skynet.be zone?

	This is part of why I was thinking that this feature should be
configurable, and to default at only reducing the questions to the
root nameservers and to the gTLD & ccTLD nameservers (none of which
should be caching anyway), and then from that level down go back to
the old behaviour.

>                                            And what about intranets that
>  have their own internal roots and could be playing by different rules
>  about where Nth-Level domain servers handle recursive queries? Maybe
>  they don't have any top-level zones at all and delegate foo.com,
>  bar.be, etc directly off their own root zone?

	Right, this gets back to the configurability of the behaviour --
you might want to completely turn it off in certain circumstances.