BIND8's useless messages

Andrew Brown atatat at atatdot.net
Tue Jul 18 01:31:14 UTC 2000

>In the MX case, debug level is fine.  Most MTAs will do a gethostbyname()
>and follow the CNAME anyway.  The only real breakage will generally be with
>the receiving MTA which won't be able to prune itself from from the MX list
>and might loop incoming mail, but that's probably the zone owner's problem.

i'm certainly not opposed to the change (since i read my name server
logs using a script which it splits up the log stuff into related
chunks and i end up with 12 pieces instead of one long convoluted
log), i would like to point out that sendmail (as an example of a
widely used mta) doesn't necessarily do gethostbyname(), particularly
since it needs the mx records which *aren't* returned by
gethostbyname().  others may be the same.  since i've written my own
async resolver, i've had to deal with chasing cnames, etc, and
it's...tricky.

sendmail also annoys other things that i do...and i'm not done fixing
that yet.

>I'm less inclined to hide NS breakage, since this is trickier to debug.

hear hear.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior at daemon.org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet