BIND8's useless messages

Brad Knowles blk at skynet.be
Tue Jul 18 18:20:57 UTC 2000

At 10:55 PM -0700 2000/7/17, Andris Kalnozols wrote:

>    3. Sendmail initially issues a query of record-type ANY which
>       causes the retrieval of the bad SOA RR.  Sendmail notices
>       the rejected query and (re-)queues the message.  Delivery
>       ultimately fails if the the remote site's DNS is not fixed
>       before the queue timeout interval is reached.

	This is related to the issue of older versions of sendmail that
used to defer the message if they got a DNS truncation in the
additional section, as a result of doing the "ANY" query.  I was
talking to Nick Christenson about this today, and it is my
understanding that this has been fixed with version 8.10, in that it
falls back and tries explicit "MX" followed by "A" queries (as
appropriate), if the "ANY" query should fail with truncation.

	It is also my understanding that the whole "ANY" query issue has
been a long-standing one, and would suggest that you separately bring
up this matter relative to the problem you've seen, to the
sendmail.org folks.

>  I haven't tested this, but sendmail's insistence on using the
>  ANY query is alleged to also make it vulnerable to ignoring MX
>  RRs under the following scenario:
>
>    @         8H IN A    1.2.3.4
>              4H IN MX   5  mailhost
>    mailhost  8H IN A    1.2.3.9
>
>  If the A RRs are still cached after the MX RR has expired,
>  sendmail will (allegedly) attempt delivery to 1.2.3.4 instead
>  of 1.2.3.9.

	This should only happen if the TryNullMXList option is set to
"true", which I believe is not the case by default.  Yes, sendmail
gives you enough rope to hang yourself here, but it has been my
experience with more recent versions of sendmail that they force you
to turn this option on if you want it.  Of course, anyone who
configures their mail server to act in this manner takes the
responsibility for what happens as a result.