DNS reply ADDITIONAL SECTION data with MX lookup ?

Mark Andrews Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Jun 22 16:26:43 UTC 2000

> quoting Brad Knowles:
>
> > 	Hmm.  So, if one of the A RRs for a name has a lower TTL and then
> > gets aged out, all the other A RRs for that same name get thrown away
> > at the same time?  Interesting.
>
> it's slightly different. See ttlcheck() and rrsetupdate() in ns_resp.c [8.2.2
> ].
>
> -Peter

	Actually what Brad said is correct.  Named discards the whole RRset
	when any RR expires.

	ttlcheck is used to workout if we will accept a particular RRset or
	not based on TTL consistancy.

	We don't normalise differing ttls except on loading a master zone.
	I am aware that this is not strict RFC 2181.  However we also
	consider any case where a RRset is not all discarded at the same
	time to be a bug.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.