BIND 8.2.x interaction with DHCP servers

Paul A Vixie vixie at mibh.net
Tue Jun 27 15:55:42 UTC 2000

> And I understand that you wouldn't want to retrofit BINDv8
> with something new like DHCID. But since BINDv9 is not yet
> production, and BINDv8 with dynamic DNS capability has been out
> for some time now, I'm just trying to find out what that
> existing BINDv8-supported "something" is. I'd like to not make
> up my own, if there is some popular way folks have been getting
> around the fact that there apparently is no standard for it yet.

that argument would support virtually unlimited expansion of bind8's
feature set.  the reason bind9 was developed is that bind8 is "full."
(it's Very Hard to add anything to bind8 without decreasing its
reliability and robustness even further.)

therefore patches are welcomed and ISC will evaluate all contributed
bind8 features for its ongoing bind8 point releases.  however, ISC
will not undertake any development work of its own for bind8.