Two quick resolver questions

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Wed May 17 21:29:05 UTC 2000

I noticed that between BIND 8.2 and 8.2.1, the resolver retry
value changed from 4 to 2.  (That's how many times the resolver
will query each name server in resolv.conf.)  Was the rationale
behind that to reduce the overall amount of time you'd wait for
the resolver to return if all of your name servers were dead?  Or
something else?

Also, does anyone know of any OSes that ship with BIND 8-
based resolvers?  Or are vendors still shipping resolvers based
on the 4.9 (or earlier) code?  I'm fairly certain HP ships a BIND
4.9-based resolver (it understands "options ndots," for example).

Thanks!

cricket