bind8 - possible other "ndc status" output?

Michael Milligan milli at acmebw.com
Sun Nov 19 07:29:01 UTC 2000

> the existing "ndc status" display was a proof of concept.  based on the
> global state which is known while the event engine is running, what else
> would people like to see?
>
> note that the last line of the display is nonsequitur, since whenever it
> *is* loading its configuration, the event engine is not running, and it
> won't be answering NDC *at all*.

Then can I suggest either rewording it to be less confusing, or dropping it
altogether?  The wording causes folks to jump to the conclusion that
something is wrong.  We still get questions of an anxious variety to Mr. DNS
about it.  Suggested wording:

server IS DONE loading it's configuration

(To be complete about this, the test against e_loading would put in either
"IS" or "IS DONE" instead of "IS" or "IS NOT".)

Regards,
Mike
(formerly of Acme Byte & Wire)

--