FYI - IP tunnelling via DNS

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at columbia.edu
Mon Sep 11 05:30:17 UTC 2000

> > Is this even something we can do anything about ?
>
> not as such.  we can't change the protocol, and i'm not sure there's anything
> any implementation (bind or otherwise) could do to block this access.  NAT
> seemed like a possibility a few seconds ago but then i realized that it's not
> using A RR's and as far as i know most DNS-aware NAT implementations pass TXT
> straight on through.

As well they should.  There are legitimate uses for TXT some of which
include performing authentication of connections.  (_kerberos TXT
queries.)  Its bad enough that hotel data port connections filter DNS
queries which prevent authenticated access from the hotel rooms.  I
would hate to see NATs to perform filtering simply based on the RR
type used.  Changing the RR type used would not be all that difficult
I would imagine.

A better method would be to perform some form of data traffic
analysis.  There must be a significant number of queries to a
particular DNS in order for this to be effective.

                  Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
               612 West 115th St * New York, NY * 10025 * USA
     http://www.kermit-project.org/ * kermit-support at kermit-project.org