Event ID source incorrect for BIND 8.2.3 NT port

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Apr 20 04:31:21 UTC 2001

At 10:58 PM 4/19/01, Joe Rhett wrote:

>I'm helping a site implement the 8.2.3 NT port, and I stumbled across a few
>issues that should be simple to fix (but are beyond my NT programming skills)
>
>1. The source sent to the Event system in NT is incorrect. The source being
>sent is the full invocation path (which would be $0 in Unix) instead of
>just the executible name. The source specified in the error message is:
>
>         C:\WINNT\System32\dns\bin\named-xfer.exe
>
>If one invokes it by hand it sends whatever the invocation path was, eg.
>         named-xfer.exe
>         .\named-xfer
>         bin\named-xfer
>
>The proper source should be 'named-xfer'. I have validated that the
>installation program sets up the registry entries correctly - using a test
>program that sends messages with a source 'named-xfer' produces the proper
>output in the Event Viewer, as does executing the program on the command
>line with only "named-xfer".
>
>This should be a trivial fix.

         You would think so.  Unfortunately it's not that simple.  I've looked at this.
named is run as a system service.  However, named-xfer is not; it's spawned
off of the named process as its own process using the full path name rather than
just the name.  That's what's getting into the event log.  If you can figure out the
correct thing to put into the registry so that the Event Viewer will recognize it, I will
change the BINDInstall code to put it into the registry. This all goes away in
BIND 9 since the code is merged in with named.

>2. Is there any reason why the BINDCtrl program isn't a Control Panel
>applet? Setting up a program group for a single app doesn't make much sense.

         Yes, Why bother to go to all that extra work?  I didn't write the code, but
it's not worth the effort to do this, particularly as BIND 9 is controlled through
nrdc which is a command line interface.

>3. Is there a reason why the BINDCtrl program doesn't have a 'restart' option?

         As opposed to reload?  What would you want restart to do?  The services
   control panel applet doesn't have one either.

         Danny