Event ID source incorrect for BIND 8.2.3 NT port

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Apr 27 05:42:30 UTC 2001

At 12:16 AM 4/27/01, Brad Knowles wrote:
>At 11:28 PM -0400 4/26/01, Danny Mayer wrote:
>
>>           Yet you want to clear the cache without giving any reason why. It
>>  may be obvious to you, yet there is no clear cache command on Unix either.
>>  If there's no reason FOR doing something why would you want this on NT?
>
>         No, BIND on Unix doesn't have a "clear cache" command, but it does have a "restart" command -- which you are refusing to implement. This then leads to the obvious question of why?

         I misphrased this.  There is no "clear cache" command on Unix either.
Does it need one? I'm not refusing to implement anything. If I see good reasons
to implement or enhance a feature then I will do it.  That's how BINDCmd, the
CLI version of BINDCtrl got done. I have no such reason for a restart.

>         Why are you so resistant to implementing a button that has a direct correlation to the way BIND works under Unix, and which you yourself observe is little more than tying two sequences together?

         I have committed to maintaining BIND 8 on NT, but for new features I
need well understood reasons for implementing them.  When BIND 9 becomes
available on NT, a lot of this will have to be changed.

>         Isn't it enough that someone is actually using the product under NT, and is asking for a feature that would help make it work more like the same product that runs under Unix?

         Yes if it makes sense. I'm trying to figure out the sense of the request.

         If I had the time, I would be implementing the reconfig command on NT since
I think that is more useful for someone with lots of zones on one machine.

>         My own reason for finding this functionality desirable is that it makes BIND on NT function more like BIND on Unix, and therefore it is easier to train people to deal with a single product and not have to worry so much about what particular platform people may have sitting in front of them.
>
>         It is relatively easy to translate "type 'rndc restart'" into "Click on the 'Restart' button".  Unfortunately, I find that many NT so-called "administrators" are dense enough that it doesn't work nearly so well to try to translate "type 'rndc restart'" into "First, click on the 'Stop' button, wait for that to come back, and then click on the 'Start' button".

         Yes, I understand all of that.  However, what do you tell them about when
they should do this? If I understand you correctly you provide them with a FAQ
which says, in effect, if A happens, then do B.  I'd like to know what A is in order
for the answer be to say: "type 'ndc restart'".

>         I don't pretend to speak for Joe on this matter, but I can certainly understand at least one explanation for why he (or someone else) might want this kind of functionality.
>
>         However, I can say that I've known Joe for a number of years now, and believe that if you can both set aside what appears to have become something of a personal/personality issue, you are likely to find that he really does have a valid reason for the feature he's asking for.

         Since I know that you've administered some major networks, maybe you
are willing to explain to me why you find it necessary to clear the cache on a
server from time to time. What problem do you encounter that requires you
to do this? I one thing that seems to be clear so far is that the restart clears
cache as a "side-effect" of restart. I run my NT systems for months at a time
without rebooting them, in spite of what people say about needing to do so
regularly. I don't recommend that people reboot their systems after installing BIND.
So why restart BIND?

         I'm glad you joined the discussion. I need real answers to my questions,
which, to date, have not been answered. Only then can a discussion begin
on whether or not it's worth implementing the suggestion.

                 Danny