intelligent selection of forwarders?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Aug 15 21:19:56 UTC 2002

    James> Honestly, we don't care a whole lot about the
    James> load-balancing aspect of this feature (i.e., BIND finding
    James> the best forwarder to use).  What we *do* care about is
    James> having rapid failover from a failed forwarding server.

Er, I might be asking the obvious question but why would you *ever*
configure a name server to forward queries to an unreliable target?
Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just get rid of forwarding altogether
and have your name server find out the good and bad name servers for
itself by following NS records?