intelligent selection of forwarders?

Chan Wilson cwilson at slurp.corp.sgi.com
Thu Aug 15 21:39:38 UTC 2002

Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> inscribed onto the electric medium...
> Er, I might be asking the obvious question but why would you *ever*
> configure a name server to forward queries to an unreliable target?
> Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just get rid of forwarding altogether
> and have your name server find out the good and bad name servers for
> itself by following NS records?

In a firewalled environment with split DNS, there is little recourse beyond
using forwarders to provide the proper path for resolution.  The per-zone
forwarding that bind9 offers is a great improvement in forwarders, but it
does have its drawbacks.

--Chan
--

 Chan Wilson :: cwilson at sgi.com :: 650/933-9515 :: SGI Enterprise Net Services

 People don't ask for facts in making up their minds.  They would rather have
 one good soul-satisfying emotion than a dozen facts.               --Leavitt