BIND9's NXDOMAIN vs NOERROR/NODATA

Ólafur Guðmundsson ogud at ogud.com
Fri Dec 13 01:12:06 UTC 2002

At 17:08 2002-12-12, Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

>         Well I still think there is DNSSEC is wrong on this and the
>         rcode should be NOERROR.  We should use DS as a opportunity to
>         fix this.

Not needed we are in the process of re documenting DNSSEC and
this should be covered there. I have forwarded this thread to the
editors to figure out if this is a simple clarify or requires
action. Feel free to bring this issue up on namedroppers and
if we have a clear consensus that Bind-9 is wrong then DNSSEC-bis
can reflect that.

>         It is possible by looking at the NXT record alone to determine
>         if the query name is actually for a empty node.

Exactly, the non terminal node exists in the sense it terminates a wild
card but as there is no data a the node no NXT is needed for it.

         Olafur