retrieving particular RRs?

Marius Marian marian at athena.polito.it
Thu Jul 11 11:22:24 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I would really appreciate if someone on the list could help me
in the following problem: I need to retrieve for a specific
DNS name one/more of the RRs (available for that name).
I start looking into the BIND9 sources and so far the only
library function that is doing something similar to what I need is:

int  lwres_getrrsetbyname(const char *, unsigned int, unsigned int,\
         unsigned int, struct rrsetinfo **);

1. If I got it right, using this function call in an application implies

the existence of a local lw resolver daemon running on the same host?

2. It is wrong to assume that this function call will try to contact
the local name server (using the resolv.conf file) in order to resolve
this query, isn't it?

3. Is there some other function call in BIND9 library that could
retrieve a RR set? Considering a trivial example, is there something
like getrrsetbyname() (since we have a gethostbyname())?
If not, are there any other alternatives that BIND9 offers?

Thanks in advance for any help!