patches for improved logging in 9.2.1

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sat Jul 20 15:40:55 UTC 2002

[ On Saturday, July 20, 2002 at 20:24:19 (+1000), Danny Thomas wrote: ]
> Subject: patches for improved logging in 9.2.1
>
> However we were dissatisfied with the logging, and were particularly
> surprised to find this didn't seem to be an issue on the bind9 users
> or workers list.

I can assure you that you are not alone!  :-)  I for one certainly
appreciate your efforts addressing this work.

I too have had improved logging on my list of requirements for using
BIND-9, but I've got quite a few other items on that list too, and in
the mean time I'm relatively happy still using BIND-8 (which mostly
satisfies the items on my list :-).

One of the biggest show-stoppers, and is above logging on the list, is
that there's currently still no logging of where answers originated
from.

Down lower on the list is fixing some of the broken security features
surrounding PID file (and other temp/log file) management.  I have done
some hacking on fixing this, just to make it usable in my test
environment, but I've not had time to really do a proper redesign and
audit.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>