bind9 doesn't close extra fds

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Sep 3 18:40:25 UTC 2002

[ On Tuesday, September 3, 2002 at 09:13:51 (-0400), Rudolph T Maceyko wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: bind9 doesn't close extra fds
>

> --On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 18:25:41 +0000 Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com>

> > we could keep closing until fd>_SC_OPEN_MAX or the number of failed
> > closes due to EBADF exceeded some threshold (42 being my favourite.)
>
> This situation doesn't appeal to me very much...  Either close them
> all, or close none.  Who's to say that the offending filedescriptors
> are "low" ones?

I would say to only close 0, 1, and 2 on systems without a proper
daemon(3) function, and otherwise let it do what the system implementers
fell is "correct" (and to make exceptions only for those systems where
daemon(3) is found to be borken).

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>