BIND 8.4.3 query logging

Johan Ihren johani at autonomica.se
Wed Dec 3 16:02:57 UTC 2003

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles at skynet.be> writes:

> At 10:10 PM +0100 2003/11/28, Peter Koch wrote:

Hi Brad,

>>  Now, adding more info is welcome, but postprocessing would be
>>  easier if we had fixed positions (and even more if we had a field
>>  separator that didn't occur in the queries). Anyone else?
>
> This will probably break all the log-processing programs I'm
> responsible for (those that weren't already broken due to age), as
> well as lire (from logreport.org).

While this is true, more consistency in the logging format would be a
Good Thing(tm) that would improve life when parsing logs. So I'm fully
beind Peter on this one, if for no other reason than to make it
trivial to create trivial filters.

But I can of course understand that people with log-processing systems
on steroids would be annoyed, even though the new format in the end
would require less prescription substances to understand than the
present one.

Johan Ihr=E9n