BIND 9 dynamic update speed

andreas.pappas at bt.com andreas.pappas at bt.com
Fri Jan 24 16:26:33 UTC 2003

I have been doing some tests with BIND 9.2.0/ FreeBSD 4.2 regarding the
propagation speed of dynamic updates along authoritative nameservers. While
propagation times are very low (~1s), the rate of dynamic updates that a
primary nameserver can handle is also very low (1,000 updates per sec) and
drops to 300 updates per sec when the server has to deal with 3,000 queries
per second as well. These tests ran on Intel PIII 650Mhz, 128Mb machines.

I'd like to know if anyone is aware of similar tests or results.

For deatils of the tests see:

http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/lcs/papers2002/LCS072.pdf

Andreas Pappas
EngD Research Engineer