9.3.0beta3 on Windows Feedback
wgriffin at sparta.com
Tue May 11 16:16:15 UTC 2004
9.3.0beta3 looks to be mostly working on Windows.
Below are some notes I made. If it looks like I'm doing something
against the recommended procedures then please let me know.
Compiled on XP Professional with the Feb 2003 Platform SDK and Visual
Studio .NET 2003. Using the environment shells provided by the dev
tools, compilation went pretty smoothly.
One suggestion, can the libdns.mak file be changed to look at C:\OPENSSL
for the OpenSSL libraries? The installation instructions for OpenSSL
already suggest that for an installation location, and it would mean not
being tied to a relative reference of ../../openssl-0.9.6k.
It also turns out that libdns would not link correctly until gdi32.lib
was added to the list of libs on the LINK command.
Once I added gdi32.lib, I didn't see any compilation or link errors.
Deployment was to Windows Server 2003 (Enterprise Edition, although I
doubt that matters). Without any additional software (i.e. OpenSSL or
Perl). It turns out I had to copy the MFC71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL to the
server to get BINDInstall to run.
Once installed named, dig, rndc-confgen, rndc, and dnssec-keygen ran
I had to manually reset the named account password to something. I'm not
sure if the account had the password created or not, but the ISC BIND
service would not start until I had reset the password in the user
dnssec-signzone generated a keyset- and dsset- file but didn't generate
a signed zone file, instead leaving a zero length .tmp file in the
directory. Here's the event log output for dnssec-signzone:
Faulting application dnssec-signzone.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting
module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.0, fault address 0x0001d61b.
The application, C:\WINDOWS\System32\dns\bin\dnssec-signzone.exe,
generated an application error The error occurred on 05/11/2004 @
12:07:34.808 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 77F5D61B
named-checkconf and named-checkzone don't seem to be working. Neither of
them report any errors in deliberately typo-ed conf and zone files. (I
discovered this because I had a typo in the conf and zone file and they
were only caught when starting named. There is not event log output when
running these from the command line.
However, on restart I get this entry multiple times in the event log:
Reporting queued error: faulting application named-checkzone.exe,
version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.0, fault
For both named-checkzone.exe and named-checkconf.exe.
Finally, dnssec-makekeyset and dnssec-signkey are still being built and
More information about the bind-workers