9.2.5 db causes high cpu? was: Re: BIND 9.2.5rc1 is now available.

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb--bind at zaphods.net
Mon Feb 21 14:47:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:45:17PM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	I don't think I'd ever leave out the code to implement views.  I
> consider that to be a fundamental part of BIND9 and should never be
> optional.  I also don't think that compile-time options for
> authoritative-only versus recursive-only mode would be a good idea --
> keep those as configuration options.

Well, if a dedicated recursing database backend and lookup routine would
significantly speed up the performance, then i think we should give it a try,
if the code would be not much different from what it looks now this can be a
configuration option just as well.
I expect overall DNS query rates to rise midterm; keep in mind there are VoIP
(SIP) and E164 about to break through, not speaking of portable uses like
UMTS+EDGE mobile-IP or what kind of an DNS record inflation wide use of IPv6
could mean.

> 	It would be interesting to retry the DNS-smokeping to see what
> happens with the new configuration.

I'll give it another try right after this mail.

> 	Otherwise, the people who used to work at Nominum and have been
> transferred back to ISC (and work on BIND9) is very limited, and ISC
> just doesn't have the kinds of resources to fund work on BIND9 that
> Nominum was able to put together for ANS and CNS.

Well it's an opensource project after all, how about interesting more people -
and there are many bright ones still out there - to contribute to it?

	Stefan
--
If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...oh, wait a
minute - he already does.