restructuring/redesigning BIND (was Re: 9.2.5 db causes high cpu?)

dean gaudet dean-list-bind-workers at arctic.org
Tue Feb 22 22:57:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Chan Wilson wrote:

> At the risk of tangentially ratholing, note some file sizes:
>
> 	dnscache 	 127728
> 	tinydns		  86132
> 	named-9.3.0	4910768
> 	apache-2.0.46	  21896
> 	apache-1.3.27	 385356
>
> If I may play at being systems programmer for a moment, it would seem
> to me that the Apache scheme of providing functionality with DSOs
> pulled in at configuration time could supply the benefits of a
> smaller, more concise code base while providing the framework for the
> future, in-progress items, such as TSIG, IPv6, and related.

speaking as a retired apache hacker:  just because apache calls them
"modules" doesn't mean they are a good example of "modular programming",
or any other good programming technique.  mplayer also uses DSOs, but i
dare you to suggest that it's an example of solid programming technique :)
(no offense to the mplayer crowd, it's a fine hack solving a problem very
much in need of a solution.)

-dean