some messages from a contemporary HP-UX 11.23 compiler

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue Nov 15 00:45:32 UTC 2005

Mark Andrews wrote:
>> For my own nefarious porpoises I decided to download and compile 9.3.2b2 on
>> an HP-UX 11iv2 (aka 11.23) IPF system with what I believe is a very
>> up-to-date compiler. A number of messages were emitted which may or may not
>> be of import, and honestly, I'm not sure if they point fingers at BIND
>> code or the compiler .
>

> 	I suspect the answer is both.

that sounds rather likely.

fwiw, the compile on HP-UX 11.11 with a rather older compiler was otherwise
"clean" but I do have a question about:

>>   +w1 +W 474,530,2193,2236  -c entropy.c

Were those four warnings being suppressed because there was a bug in some rev of
the HP-UX compilers?  If so, how long should that suppression remain?  The
paranoid in me thinks that if the compiler has been fixed, perhaps suppressing
those warnings isn't such a good idea.  At the risk of giving myself an action
item I'm not entirely sure how to implement :), maybe it would be good to have a
configure test to see if the compiler generates "invalid" warnings for those
four before suppressing them.

rick jones