query dropping vs. returning nxdomain

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Mar 7 23:50:07 UTC 2006

	Whatever we do we have to be very very careful.

	Some MS nameservers put a 60 second dead time after seeing
	a EDNS query.  This really has made deploying EDNS a pain.
	I'm sure MS thought that this was a "good idea" but it
	definitely has had bad consequences.

	We really don't want to fall into the same trap.

	Drop M in N after the error rate goes over P error PPS on
	a per error basis (Name Error is not a error for this
	discussion).

	You also need to remember that you are drawing extra
	legitimate traffic to you when it is a misconfiguration and
	not an attack if you do this.  e.g. the zone is delegated
	to the server but the server is not configured to serve the
	zone.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC