AIX networking issues

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sat Oct 21 17:57:27 UTC 2006

Folks,

NTP is using a good hunk of ISC's networking libraries.

http://bugs.ntp.isc.org/135 is about an AIX issue with the IPv6 wildcard
interface.

I noticed a thread on the postfix lists about a (possibly) similar issue
and did a quick email exchange with Wietse Venema about the matter.

While I'm not all that clear on exactly what is going on, in a recent
postfix development tarball he #define's two BROKEN_AI_* macros when
running under AIX5.

BROKEN_AI_PASSIVE_NULL_HOST prevents setsockopt(IPV6_V6ONLY) from being
called and is also used to set up the struct addrinfo hints.

BROKEN_AI_NULL_SERVICE is used do some cleanup on the results returned
by getaddrinfo() in the case where the service is NULL.

I'm mentioning this here as these things are not done in the codebase
from ISC as far as I can tell, and I'm not sure if this difference is a
bug or a feature.