"the problem with threads"

Shane Kerr Shane_Kerr at isc.org
Mon Sep 11 21:58:44 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Paul Vixie wrote:
>>> - - All concurrent programs are provably bad
>> that's not the way i read this article.  but speaking from bind9's experience,
>> actually getting useful work out of N processors is very much more difficult
>> than "use threads".
>
> Agreed, but any method required to chop up an application into
> manageable pieces that can run in parallel (for some meaning of
> parallel) is not simple. Threads is just one attempt at doing that and
> up-to-now has been the one with the most support. There are always
> points in the application that one part has to wait for the results of
> another before it can proceed and that's where you begin to lose. But
> you cannot blame threads for that.

I tend to agree. The *real* benefit of threaded programming is that it was
*easy* compared to other ways to do concurrent processing. Using shared memory
and semaphores was a pain the ass, and using event driven methods beyond a
certain complexity is tricky. And it was faster too, when CPU time mattered more
than coder time (wh00t).

Maybe "the problem with threads" is the same as "the problem with 80x86 CPUs",
it's ugly and everybody agrees there are problems, but it sure seems to work
good enough in most cases. :)

>>> - - We don't really know what else to do
>> i think the VLIW people believe that they know what else we should do :-).  i
>> do not myself know what else we should do, unless it's the apache fork() model.
>>

> And how would that help?

VLIW attacks parallelism at a level too low to be interesting for anyone other
than compiler authors, or those crazy people who hand-craft assembly, I think.

But, the fork() model at least isolates failure.

One of the problem that we see in BIND is that a critical failure of one
component takes down the entire application. This is certainly not unique to
BIND... being both "safe" and multithreaded tends to make applications brittle.
When your code finds itself in a state that it shouldn't be in, the usual course
of action is for the program to end abnormally.

One way to avoid this is to isolate problems in each thread as much as you
can... but at that point, you're starting to look a lot like a multi-process
application. So, with a more modern language than C or C++, you can raise an
exception and stay with a threaded model (that still makes me kind of nervous).
Or you can just use a multi-process (that is, fork()) model, in which case a
failure of one component means that the specific operation it was doing fails,
but the rest of the software proceeds on.

Even if you *are* using a multi-process model, coding errors that affect your
shared structures are going to cause you pain. But it's less pain than in a
threaded model, and if you really want robustness you can do things like
checkpointing so you can revert to known-good previous states. Or actually use
full transactions for shared operations.

- --
Shane