--with-dlz-bdb=yes and libdb4 and using BDBHPT?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Aug 8 02:20:46 UTC 2007

(I didn't file a bug about this yet.)

The --with-dlz-bdb=yes assumes too little.

I am using NetBSD which has a native /usr/include/db.h with dbopen(3) in
libc (which is not version 4). I also have the pkgsrc db4-4.4.20 package
installed which provides:

/usr/pkg/include/db4/db.h
/usr/pkg/lib/libdb4-4.4.so
/usr/pkg/lib/libdb4-4.4.so.4
/usr/pkg/lib/libdb4-4.4.so.4.0.20
/usr/pkg/lib/libdb4-4.so
/usr/pkg/lib/libdb4.so

The configure script checks for includes in (under the prefix):

 db42/ db41/ db4/ db/

And libraries at: db42 db-4.2 db41 db-4.1 db

Now I see the docs say: "The dlz drivers were developed to use the newest
version of the Berkeley DB available at the time (4.1.25 when the first
BDB driver was released)."

So added to the configure to also check for db4 and configure output
shows:

using Berkeley DB: -I/usr/pkg/include/db4/ -L/usr/pkg/lib -ldb4

Should I use the bind-dlz-testers instead? Its website doesn't mention it
is in BIND and only provides old patch.

Also the old docs (at the sourceforge site) says:

  "As no dlzbdb type utility is provided for BDBHPT yet, you will need
  to build your own or use the db_load program that comes with Berkeley
  DB.  Sample db_load files can be generated by using the bdbhpt writer
  that is included with the DLZ Performance Tools since version 1.1."

Any command line examples of creating and maintaining the BDBHPT database?

And on that note, I see the ./contrib/dlz/bin/dlzbdb is not built nor
installed by default.

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. dlz bdb driver not tested yet due to mutex bug. I will report that in
another email...