IDN support in dig and host utilities

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 18:33:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 11:38:01AM -0600, reed at reedmedia.net wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Adam Tkac wrote:
>
> > some time ago I tried add IDN support to dig and host utilities in
> > Fedora. After investigation I've found that idnkit which is shipped in
> > contrib subdirectory is completely unusable. It's old source, project is
> > not maintained (not sure) and I'm not able to compile it without heavy
> > patching on modern system. So I've written small patch which adds
> > support to use libidn (http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/) which is
> > good alternative to idnkit. What is your opinion about that? Would it be
> > possible include it to main source?
>
> Is your patch under the same license as libidn? libidn's license is not
> compatible with ISC's BIND license.

Patch is under ISC licence, as expected.

> Maybe idnkit should just be revived?

I'm not sure who will revive it. If anyone starts maintain it again I
have nothing against it. I only want functional and compilable IDN
support :) I think it's easier for ISC to use some IDN library which is
actively developed and maintained instead start maintain idnkit. ISC
people should tell us what is the best solution from their point of
view.

> FreeBSD ports has minor patches for idnkit and it is included in NetBSD
> src (but I didn't notice any changes from a very quick look).

Yes, this is not optimal situation when everyone keeps his own
patches.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.