Paul Wouters: Re: [dnssec-deployment] DNS cache issue

Paul Vixie Paul_Vixie at isc.org
Thu Nov 22 19:39:35 UTC 2007

>     Adam> Yes. I'm keeping short patch downstream which adds global edns
>     Adam> option.  This option was discussed on bind-workers and ISC
>     Adam> don't want that option. Our users has problem that log is
>     Adam> flooded with "..disabling EDNS.." messages. Of course, EDNS is

it's not just that isc didn't want to ship the option in standard bind.
it's that the bind-workers community rebelled against the idea of making
edns optional, anywhere.  if edns isn't working then there's an isp or a
middlebox or firewall that needs to get whacked.  the future of dns is
edns, and there is no sense or value in making it possible to turn it off.

>   Then just turn off that message, or limit it to saying it once.
>   Bind9 turns off EDNS on it's own, right?

that's a reasonable approach, as long as the limit is repealed after 24
hours, so that there will be a burst of errors every day.

i'm particularly worried about a named.conf file syntax extension that locks
someone into a particular system vendor and makes it impossible for that
user to upgrade bind to a f/oss version later than what the vendor ships.

this is something redhat should take up with the bind forum, and demonstrate
some leadership, rather than going rogue like this.