Why ISC developing wheel again?

Paul Vixie Paul_Vixie at isc.org
Fri Oct 5 19:52:37 UTC 2007

> > > I don't have anything against this approach but I still prefer fix
> > > NetBSD library.
> >
> > after that fix goes in, and after the last old netbsd machine on earth is
> > upgraded, we'll remove the workaround.
>
> You know as I that this will never occur.

untrue.  one of the things i know that you do not know is that in BIND 9 we
dropped support for non-ANSI C, and made function prototypes mandatory, and
started using features that SunOS 3.4 and Ultrix 2.1 didn't have.  another
thing i know that you do not seem to know is that software is alive, and
it has a life cycle and an ecosystem.  some day we'll drop support for older
systems, but not while a lot of people are still using those systems.  fixing
the libc's on those systems is also important, but we're not going to take
the position that the libc's have to be fixed before our code can run there.