9.4.2b1 -> 9.4.2rc1 libisc.so interface change

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Oct 15 11:44:35 UTC 2007

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 02:19:42PM -0400, Danny Mayer wrote:
> > Adam Tkac wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've got report that libisc.so has interface revision number 33 in
> > > 9.4.2rc1 (had 32 in 9.4.2b1). I think maintenance releases should
> > > keep API/ABI because changes like this will break other applications.
> > > Better should be keep old interface for compatibility and remove it
> > > in next major release. Btw change of socket_eventlist_delete function
> > > doesn't worry me but that all programs linked to libisc.so have to be
> > > relinked is my problem.
> > >

> > For at least that function you shouldn't have to worry since it's an
> > internal-only function. Applications (including BIND9) should never be
> > calling it.
>
> Yes, you're right, noone should use functions from libisc library. But when y
> ou're shipping OS you have to keep API/ABI compatibility during OS life. So i
> f We have BIND 9.4 in distro We should have libisc.so.32 during distro life.
> This is main point why I've started this thread - keeping API/ABI compatibili
> ty in maintenance releases.
>
> Adam

	In general we try very hard not to change the major api number
	in maintenance releases.

	socket_eventlist_delete() really should be static.  It's
	not actually made public (not in libisc.def).

	The real question is, will reverting the major number for
	9.4.2rc2/9.4.2 cause more problems than it fixes?

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org