should named return nxdomain when CNAME can't be resolved?

Gregory Shapiro gshapiro at gshapiro.net
Mon Oct 15 17:26:50 UTC 2007

> I think current named behavior is bad when CNAME can't be resolved
> to address (if I don't miss some RFC definition :) ). There're two
> possible solutions:

> 1. named returns A record in additional section (as is when AAAA
> record exists)

> 2. named returns answer with status NXDOMAIN (looks like best solution
> for me)

I wouldn't want NXDOMAIN returned as it will break CNAMEs into other
domains if the same nameserver doesn't serve the other domain and
recursion is turned off (which hopefully is the case for most by now).
In that case, the server being queried would only have the CNAME record
and not the final address record so all it can return is the CNAME.