Uniqifiers for TSIG keys, was Re: feature consultation -- per-zone initiator-side tsig keys

Kimmo Suominen kim at tac.nyc.ny.us
Wed Dec 17 15:30:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 03:50:48PM +0100, Johan Ihren wrote:
> I.e. for every zone we anycast I have this:

> also-notify { IP1; IP2; IP3; IP4; ...; };
>
> where the list of IP addresses have the two properties of
>
> a) being very long (and growing)
> b) being mostly the same between zones
>
> If I could collapse these lists into "also-notify { cloud-A-admin-
> addresses; };" where the actual list is defined separately I would be
> much obliged.

The workaround I use for this is to generate named.conf using m4: just
define each repeated element once and use the m4 macros repeatedly.

Actually, thanks to m4 I can generate both named.conf and nsd.conf
from the same master list of zones for both the primary and secondary
servers.  I was also generating ip6.int zones automatically for all
ip6.arpa zones with m4.

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--