patches to make bind9 with TKEY/GSS updates easier to configure

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sun Dec 5 01:53:02 UTC 2010

Hi Love,

 > Please try using GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE with
 > DNS at hostnameyou-have (either fqdn or short name, its matched with
 > servicePrincipalName in the KDC). This will trigger referrals in
 > modern heimdal, the Heimdal build in to netbsd isn't modern last
 > time I checked.

That works on my Ubuntu 10.04 box, but I don't think it's really a
viable solution. We could only tell that this worked by trying it, and
then if it fails I think we'd be stuck, as GSSAPI will have already
loaded its default realm, so the KRB5_CONFIG tmpfile trick won't work.

I think we also want this to work even for older krb5 libraries.

There is also a note in the bind sources like this:

	 * XXXSRA In theory we could use GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE
	 * here when we're in the acceptor role, which would let us
	 * default the hostname and use a compiled in default service
	 * name of "DNS", giving one less thing to configure in
	 * named.conf.  Unfortunately, this creates a circular
	 * dependency due to DNS-based realm lookup in at least one
	 * GSSAPI implementation (Heimdal).  Oh well.

I suspect that comment only relates to using
GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE in the named server, not in the client. The
patch I've done is for the nsupdate client.

Cheers, Tridge