Binding to non-local interfaces

Terry Burton tez at terryburton.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 23:05:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Rob Foehl <rwf at loonybin.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Terry Burton wrote:
>> Perhaps a simpler solution would be an rndc rescan-interfaces
>> directive which provides immediate results whist avoiding the cost of
>> reloading the zones?
>
> rndc reconfig does this without reloading (existing) zones.  That's probably
> your best bet, as BIND's interface scanning is far too infrequent for this
> sort of failover.

Excellent. I should really have discovered that.

reconfig also appears to be robust in the sense that configuration
syntax errors do not cause the daemon to exit.

I am a little apprehensive about having to prod BIND in case that
action compounds any problems, i.e. it would be embarrassing if the
very mechanism designed to gloss over a transient network problem
affecting one resolver were to clobber the remaining resolvers.
However, I hope that this will prove unfounded.

Many thanks,

Terry