phoning home

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Sat Jun 11 23:29:37 UTC 2011

    Paul> today i noticed the following in my syslog:

    Paul> freshclam daemon 0.97 (OS: freebsd8.2, ARCH: amd64, CPU: amd64)
    Paul> ClamAV update process started at Sat Jun 11 19:38:55 2011
    Paul> WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
    Paul> WARNING: Local version: 0.97 Recommended version: 0.97.1
    Paul> DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq

Not sure how CLAMAV is finding out about newer versions.
It could be as invasive as an HTTP POST to clamav.net, which would tell
the clamav people what versions are out there, and what IP addresses
they are at.

Or it could be as simple as doing a DNS query for a TXT record that has
version info in it.  That doesn't leak what version you are running, and
after caching and a layer of recursive DNS server, doesn't tell anyone
who is running it.

So information doesn't have to be leaked, but it might be a good thing
for the world if we knew how many "old" resolvers and authoritative
servers there were out there.  But, maybe we can extrapolate from surveys
that observe the CHAOS in the world.

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.