dig: looking for set hop limit

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Aug 21 22:23:15 UTC 2012

On 21 Aug 2012, at 22:44, Kerry Lynn wrote:

> I have been unsuccessful in finding where hop limit is set for IPv6
> lookup
> packets.  I am using a site-scoped multicast address for server and
> hop
> limit is being set to 1.  I would like to increase this.  Any help
> appreciated.

This has got nothing to do DNS, let alone the internals of one
implementation of the protocol(s). Neither the DNS nor BIND care what
the IP-layer packet hop count is/was on the queries they get.

You'd be better off asking in some IPv6 forum or somewhere specific to
the kernel of the OS you're using. It might be possible to tweak an
appropriate kernel configuration setting -- sysctl is your friend --
or hack the code and recompile.

However there are very good reasons for using low hop counts on
multicast packets. It's usually a VERY bad idea to tinker with them.