survey: BIND Community Edition

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sat Jan 19 17:27:47 UTC 2013

Should ISC create a "community edition" of BIND?

According to the ISC Domain Survey, BIND9 is the most popular DNS
implementation by far. To me this says we're doing a lot that's right.
I've heard from many BIND Workers over the years that we could do more
-- specifically, that we could be more open.

ISC's "managed open source" model means there are no non-contracted
committers. Every patch we receive from an outside contributor is
subject to the same QA and Release Engineering process as ISC's own
internal work. This has meant delay in many cases before a code
contribution from outside ISC was released as part of BIND. We have also
rejected some contributions when they did not fit into our roadmap.

This raises the question: should there be a community edition of BIND? I
envision it as being hosted at ISC but having its own "core team" and
having both ISC and non-ISC committers. I can imagine this version being
available as an installable package on Linux and BSD, and perhaps even
becoming the default for some OS distributions. It could be a proving
ground for features that eventually landed in the main BIND
distribution. Sort of like Fedora is to RHEL.

My survey questions are:

1. would you like, or not like, to see a "community edition" of BIND,
and why (or why not)?
2. would you run or distribute such a thing in preference to "BIND
itself", and why (or why not)?
3. would you join such an effort, either as a committer or as an
organizer, and how would you contribute?

Feel free to reply to me directly, or to reply-all and include this
mailing list. Either way I will summarize the results.

Paul