Zone reload timing issues in 9.10.1-P2

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Wed Mar 4 00:00:43 UTC 2015

I've got a few instances of 9.10.1-P2 which appear to ignore an explicit
'rndc reload example.com' for master zones with mtimes prior to the zone
load time, even though the contents have changed, including updated serial
numbers.  The specific circumstances include a provisioning system which
writes new zones to disk immediately on update but waits to rename() them
over the existing zones until named is ready to accept control channel
commands (post-startup or post-reconfig, for example).

This wasn't the case for numerous releases of 9.7 through 9.9, all of
which happily did what they were told on the reloads.  I can't find
anything relevant in the release notes, either -- was this an intentional
change in 9.10?

-Rob