ISO C11's stdatomic.h

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 10:24:28 UTC 2015

On 9.9.2015 05:57, Shane Kerr wrote:
> Robert,
>
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 21:25:07 -0400
> Robert Edmonds <edmonds at mycre.ws> wrote:
>
>> If I understand correctly, the isc_atomic_* functions could be
>> implemented in terms of the atomic_* functions as:
>
> Seems like a good idea to me. It even seems like a good idea to make
> these the default on all platforms, and (eventually, because RHEL)
> deprecate the custom ones.

Well, it should be possible to plug in gcc atomics as another 'architecture'
which will be used if configure script detects that compiler supports that.

This would allow us to use atomics on all modern compilers while still
supporting old GCC on enterprise distros.

It would be interesting to see some benchmarks comparing hand-made atomics
with those generated by GCC ...

--
Petr Spacek  @  Red Hat