Turn off IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU?

João Damas joao at bondis.org
Tue May 31 15:02:25 UTC 2016

> On 31 May 2016, at 16:31, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>

> In message <92E4FD9B-12A4-4773-B785-B3AA40F3E6B5 at bondis.org>, =?utf-8?Q?Jo=C3=A3o_Damas?= writes:
>>
>> Mark,
>>
>>> On 31 May 2016, at 13:32, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> In message <20160531161631.7ca7f650 at pallas.home.time-travellers.org
>> <mailto:20160531161631.7ca7f650 at pallas.home.time-travellers.org>>, Shane

>>> UDP is reliable if you don't have idiots breaking the protocol by
>>> dropping fragments.
>>
>> Agreed
>>
>>> Additionally DPI is going away as more and
>>> more traffic is encrypted.
>>
>> Perhaps
>>
>>> Just because you can DPI something
>>> doesn't mean that you should.
>>
>> Agreed, no only for this case.
>>
>> Now… with that baseline established, there is a fact that Shane pointed
>> out that I think should be the overriding argument:
>>
>> measurements of reality indicate that using larger packets, stuffing as
>> much data as possible into the UDP packet, in a world that overwhelmingly
>> uses 1500(-tunnel) as its MTU, increases the chances of success of the
>> communication.
>> if you remember, the 1280 magic number comes from pure gut-feeling on the
>> side of the RFC author/editor, not hard evidence.
>>
>> Please consider adoption of the change that Shane suggests as it will
>> increase the chances of DNS lookups succeeding and we can continue to
>> educate people about DPI, broken firewall rules, etc while getting the
>> DNS to work better over UDP/IPv6
>>
>> Joao
>
> And if you live behind a tunnel you want the fragmentation @1280.

No you don’t, you want way more than 1280.

> Too many idiots with authoritative servers block PTB messages and
> DNS/UDP doesn't resend automatically on receipt of PTB like TCP
> does.  Even if the site doesn't deliberately block PTB, broken load
> balancer that don't forward PTB corretly, etc. means that you don't
> want to rely on PTB working.  This even impacts DNS/TCP.

true, but 1280 is ridiculously small, not to mentioned pulled right out of someone’s ass (1280 = 1024 + 256 because it looks nice). Tunnels eat way less than 220 bytes for real observed cases.

> You don't need to do reassembly and DPI to let fragmentmented
> fragment based on <src-addr,dst-addr,proto> along with the full
> tuple for the initial fragement <src-addr,src-port,dst-addr,dst-port,proto>
> and let the host reassemble the packet.  It doesn't have to be all
> fragments.

yep, we all know the theory. I talk to firewall people (vendors and users) and remind them of this each time. You can do the same. Unfortunately some times things are explained in a way that makes the user believe this is all black-magic and it is just easier to disable all the shit and just let port 80 and 443 through (so that’s the way DNS is headed :-(

Joao