Seeing crashes with NLS code with MUSL libc

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Dec 15 20:06:30 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I’m the maintainer for ISC-DHCP on Openwrt, and a lot of platforms use the MUSL (or eglibc, or uClibc, etc.) run-times, not just glibc… depending on what’s preferred for the architecture and memory footprint (glibc is a little bloated).

The behavior of catopen() is not well defined in the error cases across platforms and run-times, and we’re not handling it robustly in bind/bind-9.11.2-P1/lib/isc/nls/msgcat.c

I’ve opened a bug:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/dhcp/-/issues/156

But I’ve not seen any movement on it.

I understand that (1) ISC-DHCP is in limited maintenance except for significant bugs (which this is), and (2) this library is taken from BIND, which is maintained… so I believe it’s reasonable to expect a fix to be delivered.  That’s the case, isn’t it?  Doing a sanity check.

The code doesn’t seem to have been touched in 20 years.  Who owns it at this time?  Anyone?

It’s not really clear to me why various daemons (either client or server) need message catalog support, and why enabled is the default.  Seems like the rare case that anything other than “C” locale support is needed.

It just makes the code more fragile, as this evinces.

Thanks,

-Philip