FIPS and MD5

Josef Moellers jmoellers at suse.de
Thu Feb 11 09:25:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

It appears that one can enable FIPS at runtime but then needs to switch
off MD5 at compile-time.

1) would it make sense to just not populate the
dst_t_func[DST_ALG_HMACMD5] pointer when this happens?
I.e. in dst__hmacmd5_init(), rather than abort ("FIPS mode is 1: MD5 is
only supported if the value is 0.\nPlease disable either FIPS mode or
MD5."), issue a warning ("FIPS mode is 1: MD5 is only supported if the
value is 0.\nDisabling MD5 support." and set *funcp to NULL?

2) If this would be acceptable, what function should we use to alert the
user of this fact?

Thanks and stay safe!

Josef
--