[bind10-dev] BIND 10 development objectives, 2010-W06

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Mon Feb 8 09:15:39 UTC 2010

Hey all,

Michael asked for a mail detailing the objectives for the week, and
others seemed to think this would be helpful.

Here's my take on it (although these are open for discussion of course):

     1. We have to recover from moving parking lot to the trunk. We
        can't review all the code in the trunk, because it wasn't ready
        for review when we moved it. But we need to re-review the pieces
        that were already production quality. This means the Name class,
        and the finished bits of the RRSet class and the Message class.
        It also means msgq and both they Python and C++ libraries for
        msgq. None of that should be very difficult, since the code was
        already reviewed and the differences should be minor. Jeremy,
        thanks for your work on this - although I guess this is probably
        not done, with automated tests not being run on the right place
        and things like that. Finishing that less urgent, but also
        nice. :)
     2. We need to get the data source into a state where we can answer
        queries. We are a week behind where we hoped we would be,
        meaning this is now high priority. I am looking at Michael and
        Evan for this; please let me know if something is holding this
        work back.
     3. It's time to get the configuration stuff into review. Jelte, I
        think this a high priority for you.
     4. Jinmei is going to be finishing the DNS Message API work
        necessary for Y1, hopefully.
     5. Feng is working on making Python wrappers for the DNS Message
        API. We need to know this week if using Boost for this is
        practical. If it is not, then finding an alternative becomes
        urgent. We don't need a finished Python wrapper this week
        (although of course that would be awesome).
     6. Getting the cmdctl and bindctl into review is also a goal this
        week. I think Likun is working on this.
     7. Jeremy and I need to get the release plan worked out in as much
        detail as possible.

If anyone discovers they are working on something that isn't helping
with one of these objectives, please let me know. There is a chance that
we could start blocking waiting on the *update* part of the Data Source
API. I think there is enough necessary work that this won't happen, but
it is my next main concern.

Let's be careful out there!

--
Shane