[bind10-dev] weekly update

Jeremy C. Reed jreed at isc.org
Wed Feb 24 15:36:41 UTC 2010

Documentation:

- working on having separate doxygen builds for each component.
  Currently I had all c++ docs in single generation:
  http://bind10.isc.org/~jreed/doxygen/

- contact individual developers to walk through parts of their code so
  can add missing developer documentation.

- also work with individual developers to explain the use of their code
  for usage documentation.

- I have been working on man pages in Docbook XML format. (Not committed
  yet.) Need to add infrastructure for this to Makefiles also.

- For the python modules documentation, work on getting sphinx to
  generate the documentation webpages. pydoc's HTML output is ugly and
  adds unrelated docs. Examples under
  http://bind10.isc.org/~jreed/pydoc/
  That is not the plan.

Build system:

- testing the python tests more and will work on getting them added to
   the make system. (Note most are already automated via a shell script
   on a commit to trunk.)

- working on ideas of re-arranging the layout of the source tree.
  This is in svn/experiments/jreed-layout.

Build Farm:

- add a build step to generate tarball after autoreconf step. Then
  use that tarball (extract it) and build from that new location for
  other steps.

- enable the build farm for autobuilds. I already have autobuilds on
  commit for trunk. But that wasn't done on each of the build systems --
  simply because for a while there was no changes done on trunk.

Advocacy:

- once the build farm has the tarball(s) and the user docs are available
  (assuming this includes the auth server with SQLite support), write a
  blog article about it.

Benchmarking:

- once I understand the new auth server configuration and usage (per
  documentation noted above), I will do that on the benchmark server
  (qps, memory usage, etc). I will compare that with the November
  "ParkingLot" benchmark results (already done).

Trac:

- try masterticket plugin for allowing tickets to depend on other
  tickets.

- Figure out how to get Trac to be used to maintain the task checklist
  and release checklist. Right now I maintain this as tab-delimited
  file and process into HTML and upload. For example:
  http://bind10.isc.org/~jreed/task-checklist.1.html