[bind10-dev] logging and verbosity (was Re: Error: unexpected answer from ConfigManager)

Jeremy C. Reed jreed at isc.org
Wed Feb 24 15:52:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Jelte Jansen wrote:

> (btw a lot of modules still simply print(), did someone look at real
> logging yet, and passing around of verbosity?)

bind10 needs to pass --verbose on to components it starts up (if bind10
is ran with --verbose).  But that is simple. Maybe it should have debug
levels.

Each component (including bind10 itself) should identify itself in any
output. Currently we get lots of output, but have no idea if is useful
or even where it comes from.

I don't have specific ideas for logging other than it was decided to use
the log4j equivalents for C++ and Python.

I also understand we won't have the logging designed for the first
prototype deliverable. So at least I hope the output to console is
clearly identified and can be enabled/disabled.