[bind10-dev] Visualization of gprof, was gprof results

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Wed Jun 9 10:13:44 UTC 2010

All,

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 11:19 -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I placed some gprof output for b10-auth at:
>
> http://bind10.isc.org/~jreed/profiling/
>
> http://bind10.isc.org/~jreed/profiling/gprof.out-100000-sqlite
> is 100,000 queries from record from sqlite db.
>
> http://bind10.isc.org/~jreed/profiling/gprof.out-1000000-version.bind
> is 1,000,000 queries of builtin record.

I found this data a bit difficult to read. A handy graph tool can be
found here:

http://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/Gprof2Dot

I used:

$ python gprof2dot.py gprof.out-100000-sqlite  | dot -Tpng -o sqlite.png

The graph is quite large (and takes about 650 Mbyte of RAM to make!) but
it is easier for me to understand than the text output. Now that I know
what stuff means I can possibly use the text directly though. :)

--
Shane