[bind10-dev] [refactor] ChangeLog category?

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Fri Jun 18 16:43:09 UTC 2010

> I agree this is an issue.
>
> "refactor" seems to make more sense to me, as we may have code that has
> no real problems, but needs to be changed for some reason.
>
> I just hope we don't end up overusing "refactor" too. ;)

I think it makes sense to add a [refactor] category that's
distinct from [cleanup].  But the change under discussion doesn't
seem to me to be a refactoring.

I guess it's a matter of personal definition.  To me, "refactoring" implies
that the code has been changed in some structural sense (optimized, split
into smaller units of code, etc)--altering its internals while retaining
its black-box behavior.  "Cleanup" implies that the code is essentially the
same but looks better:  Improved comments, clearer variable names, style
fixes, etc.

In this case we've just changed the signature of calls to one function
to improve readability, but we haven't altered the flow of the code in
any way.  So I'd call this one a cleanup, not a refactoring.

(Not that it matters that much what it gets called in ChangeLog... but I
figured, if we're going to add a new category, we should probably be on
the same page about what it means.)

                                                eh