[bind10-dev] a bikeshed style question: parenthesize return values?

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Tue Jun 22 19:00:38 UTC 2010

> It looks like it's (almost) only me who follows the BIND
> 9 style, and if so, I'm happy to switch to the "don't parenthesize"
> style.

Not just you, I do it too.

The only exception is that I've occasionally forgotten the parens
when I was writing one-line methods like this:

        Foo& getFoo() const { return foo_; }

...because that's so different from anything that appears in
BIND 9, my inner style-editor got absent-minded and started
following the conventions of other C++ code I've read.  However,
when I notice the mistake later, I always go back and correct
it.

I'm not sure why BIND 9 and DHCP had that rule in the first place,
but IMHO, in the interest of consistency between products, we should
keep style rules unless we *need* to change them for some reason, and
in this case I don't see a need.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.