[bind10-dev] the message on cc-channel (was: Re: How to implement query counters in auth module?)

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Tue Sep 21 04:41:13 UTC 2010

At Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:24:31 +0800,
"Likun Zhang" <zlkzhy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, we have added one id to the command message, to make sure the
> sender can get the correct reply.
>
> But, there may be another issue: 'orphan message', some reply message may
> never be processed, if the sender use 'fire-and-forget' way. This problem
> can be fixed easily if coding carefully. But how about the broadcast
> message? For example, the message is "1 to m".
>
> So, a minor suggestion: add one parameter 'need_reply' to the message, the
> receiver will reply the message when 'need_reply' is true.

Do you mean in the case of "fire-and-forget" the original sender sets
need_reply to false?

I don't have a strong opinion on this proposal (yet), but please let
me ask a more fundamental question: what's the problem of the "orphan
message"?  Whether or not we introduce "need_reply", an orphan message
can happen, e.g., a sudden and unexpected quit of the sender.  So,
IMO, if the problem is serious we should consider a more fundamental
fix.  On the other hand, if it's minor, we may be able to ignore such
cases.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.