[bind10-dev] consider log4cplus for logging

Jeremy C. Reed jreed at isc.org
Wed Apr 27 11:38:12 UTC 2011

We should also consider testing log4cplus.

http://log4cplus.sourceforge.net/

It is a port of log4j to C++ originally started in 2004. The original
source used to be the Apache Standard License 1.1, then that license
changed to ASL 2.0. The new parts done from scratch are licensed under a
BSD license. It has had releases in 2004, 2009, 2010, and 2011.

A feature list is at:

http://log4cplus.sourceforge.net/projstatus.html

It also includes log rotation (it called it "rolling").

It has been tested on various platforms including Windows. I emailed the
main developer and he was quick to respond.

The API docs are at:
http://log4cplus.sourceforge.net/docs/html/index.htmlhttp://log4cplus.sourceforge.net/docs/html/index.html

And simple examples at:
http://log4cplus.sourceforge.net/codeexamples.html

An article with examples is at:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/Log4cplus.aspx

It has some tests. I made a package for it for pkgsrc and tested on
NetBSD. It is said it is smaller than log4cpp, but I didn't confirm that
yet.

The log4cplus is used in HP Remote Graphics Software (Catia), Sybase
Open Server, McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator, Chase Paymentech / NetConnect
SDK, ParaXip Gateway / Sangoma Express Gateway, and many other
commercial projects.

  Jeremy C. Reed
  ISC